Tuesday, June 11, 2013

So here's the thing...I've gone back into the hot room. After nearly 1.5 years away from Bikram, 3 weeks ago I stepped back in.  Am I happy to be back?  I'll let you know in a bit...

How did I get back here? Well...truth be told I was forced!  Ok, not so much forced. But a running injury and air cast landed me back here.

My running is for sure a love of mine. I love absolutely everything about it.  I crave it. And when I can't do it, I miss it. A lot.  I miss that challenge that every run brings.  That feeling during the run when everything clicks and you are just enjoying the ride. That feeling after. After about 20 years doing it, it is of course a very big part of my life.  I run 6-7 days a week and 30-50 miles a week (depending on what's going on that week!).

As athletes we all have little nagging injuries from time to time, right?  Some we know we can work through...others we know we can't. You know what I mean?  There is just this difference in pains that are just not good.  I'm out on a 10 miler 3 Saturdays ago and towards the end my foot hurt. Bad.  I knew what was coming next.  This was not like a hip flexor that you run through.  Long story short here I am in this air cast. No running! Looking back there were of course signs of the injury I ignored thinking "it'll get better". I always tell people..listen to your body!  I need to do a better job at it myself :)

At first I was of course devastated. What will I do??? I NEED to run!  Then I remembered something...

Bikram! It's like that old friend you can call after not seeing a year and just pick back up where you left off.  So I packed my yoga clothes, towels and mat and headed to the studio. Soon as I walked (or limped!) up the stairs and through the studio door I felt like I had never left.  I took my air cast off and limped into the hot room. And the practice came right back to me. Like almost no time had passed. I had forgotten how much I loved that feeling of heat and sweat and being still... It was a wonderful first class back and all the negative feelings I had around my injury seemed to lift.  Yes, I have an injury. No I can't run (for now).  But it's temporary.

Healing is well under way.  I'm healing quickly and I swear the Bikram has a big part in that.

So while I'm not happy about my injured foot I will tell you I'm thrilled to be back in the hot room. Practicing with some amazing people who challenge themselves every time they step into the room. Coming back has made me realize how much I love it. How much it's important to create balance And so when my foot is healed and I'm tying my running shoes and hitting the roads I will always still make Bikram a part of my week.  Good for the body mind and spirt as they say!
Can't wait 'til I'm suited up in running gear again!


Namaste!
Traci

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. constantly i used to read smaller articles or reviews that also clear their
    motive, and that is also happening with this post which I am reading at this place.


    Also visit my website - assurance life Policy

    ReplyDelete